The area of North Lewisham spreading north to the river Thames has been historically dominated by industrial activity.
The current Surrey Canal Road to the north of the site used to be a functioning canal, the Grand Surrey Canal, running from the river Thames along the current Surrey Canal Road through to Peckham and Camberwell. The canal was constructed in the early 19th century. The canal continued to thrive until the expansion of the road network towards the end of the 1940’s. By 1970’s most of the canal was
The Trundley’s Road site has hosted both industrial and residential buildings in the past, as has the site of Folkstone Gardens. The area has badly bombed during the Second World War and the site of the park was never rebuilt but rather turned into a park.
Map of Deptford c. 1894
Bomber over Millwall (image source: Wikipedia)